Friday, October 25, 2013

Intern Fridays: Interview with Stop-Motion Animator Ellen Yu

Intern Friday features interviews with former Interns at animation, film, and video game studios. Today we bring you Ellen Yu, former intern at Starburns Industries.  Enjoy and stay tuned for future Intern Friday Interviews!



What is your current job title and where do you work?
I am currently a freelance illustrator based out of Burbank.  I recently interned for Starburns Industries for the stop-motion feature film Anomalisa.

What does your job entail?
I was an art intern on the production.

What inspired you to become an artist?
I have many inspirations stemming from anime and independent short films.  I love the work of Studio Ghibli, Don Hertzfeldt, Jiri Trnka, Bretislav Pojar, and many more.
 

Where did you study?
I studied Character Animation at the California Institute of the Arts.

Why did you choose the studio to apply for the internship?
There aren't many stop-motion internships to choose from.  I was fortunate enough that the Anomalisa production aligned to when I was available.

What did you submit for your portfolio and how did you prepare for the submission?
I submitted my fabrication portfolio for puppets and my film reel. The reel showed parts of my Senior film and projects that I worked on.

What do you believe separated you from others who were also applying for the internship?
Truthfully, I think availability was the key.  This wasn't for a paid position, but I do think having prior work experience in your field will help you get a job faster.  It's a lot easier to obtain work if you have previous jobs to back you up.
 
What was the interview process like for the internship?

The interview process was very quick. The company looked at my portfolio and told me the guidelines to the internship.

How did the internship prepare you for your current career?
I originally started out as a puppet intern, but was switched over to help in the graphics department. I created miniature labels and graphics for props in the movie.  At the tail end of my internship, I track read the eyebrows and mouth sets for the 3-D printed faces using Dragon.
 
What is your opinion on paid versus unpaid internships?

I hope every internship is paid. Sometimes studios don't offer pay due to budget constraints. Internships allow connections.  If you do get a chance and can afford to intern unpaid, I would give it a try.

What advice do you have for aspiring artists who want to intern at a studio?

I advise that students intern while in college.  A lot of internships don't allow you to intern without proof of college credit.  I hesitated to intern during school because of my school work and all of the classes I wanted to take.  I would suggest interning during the summer with help from family or interning somewhere you are locally from. 


Thank you Ellen for the interview!  Check out Ellen's reel and portfolio here: 



And for more info on Women in Animation San Francisco visit our Facebook Page at:
https://www.facebook.com/wiasf

and Twitter at:

https://twitter.com/WIASanFrancisco

No comments:

Post a Comment