Friday, October 11, 2013

Intern Fridays: Interview with Animator Priscila Vertamatti

Intern Friday features interviews with former Interns at animation, film, and video game studios. Today we bring you Priscila Vertamatti, current Pixar Animator and former Pixar and Disney Intern. Enjoy and stay tuned for future Intern Friday Interviews!

What is your current job title and where do you work?

I'm currently an Animator at Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville, CA.


What does your job entail?
I animate production shots, that is, I give life - from acting to polishing - to characters in a Pixar movie.

What inspired you to become an artist in the first place?
I've always been drawing, ever since a little girl. A passion I could never really explain. I just love creating characters and stories, and bringing them to life. And of course, I've always loved Disney movies! 



Where did you study?

I attended the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, CA for my BFA in Character Animation.



Why did you choose to apply for the internship at Pixar Animation Studios?

I've actually only started doing (and liking) CG animation at AAU, before that I've always wanted to be a traditional animator. Pixar and Disney movies have always been my biggest inspirations, and uniting my unconditional love for animation, it was the moment I was waiting for my whole life.

The reason why I moved to the US was to seek unique opportunities like these. The previous year I had done the summer internship at Disney in Burbank, CA as a CG animator, to my surprise. As I was finishing school in 2012, I applied and got into the Pixar internship, it was a dream come true!



What did you submit for your portfolio and how did you prepare for the submission?

I prepared a demo reel with a variety of animation tests that could give others a good idea of my range of skills. I had both CG and Traditional shots, a dialog test, a quadruped, shots with my own characters and shots with Disney characters. For Disney I remember sending in some life drawings as well at the end of the demo reel, but for Pixar it was not necessary, as much of that knowledge can already show through one's animation. 



What do you believe separated you from others who were also applying for the internship?

I think it was my life-long passion for animation, which hopefully showed through my work. Having traditional shots in my reel also helped, I believe, since the CG animation market is so saturated nowadays. Additionally, I had work from my previous summer internship at Disney; all my other shots had characters of my own creation (for the CG rigs, I modified them to look as close as possible). I believe I had some pretty interesting ideas and I've also been told that I have very strong sense of appeal and design in my work.



What was the interview process like for the internship?

For Pixar, I never really went through a formal interview. The reason might be that they prefer to look at one's demo reel first, but also, having been in the Pixar class at AAU, I could have been recommended without even knowing it.



What department did you intern in and what specific tasks did you accomplish as an intern?

I did the Animation internship at Pixar. The goal was to animate a variety of test shots with Pixar characters, much as if you were creating a demo reel. We animated Luxo the lamp interacting with a ball, a Buzz Lightyear dialog, and other shots with characters from the latest Pixar movie, in our case, Brave. None of these shots were production-related, the internship really was about strengthening one's animating skills, learning the software, attending demos and lectures and having tons of fun!



How did the internship prepare you for your current career?

It prepared me in so many ways! It made me a better animator in the first place, learning from the mentors and fellow animators/interns. It also prepared me technically, after all, learning the software does make a difference; and it also prepared me emotionally, as I felt more confident as a professional, receiving both positive and constructive feedback on my work and personality. After the internship I started as a Crowds & Fix animator on Monsters University, moving up to animator recently this year after completing on the Pixar short Toy Story of Terror. I want to continue to grow inside the company, but will always remember where it all started!



What is your opinion on paid versus unpaid internships?

I think internships should always be paid. Many interns are already so skilled they could well be doing professional work, so really, it's just a position title. It's totally understandable not to have the same benefits as a full-time employee, but not be paid at all just sounds unethical to me. If you're going to "volunteer", might as well do it for a non-profit organization that truly needs your help.



What advice do you have for aspiring artists who want to intern and eventually work at a studio?
Work hard! Animate because you truly love it, and you will be happy anywhere. If you're looking to work in a studio, teamwork and disposition are essential, being talented is not enough. Always continue to study from life, draw a lot, both animals and people, attend lectures, look for and accept feedback, and just be honest with yourself. The time will come if you truly believe it!

Thank you Priscila for the interview! For more info on Women in Animation San Francisco visit our Facebook Page at:

https://www.facebook.com/wiasf

and Twitter at:

https://twitter.com/WIASanFrancisco




No comments:

Post a Comment